Today in Box of Chocolates Friday, everything’s laced with happy. Let’s all take a moment right now to fill our heads with positive vibes! I’ve made a list of happy things you can do when you’re feeling down to add a little cheer. So here, in no particular order, are 12 shots of happy:
1. Play happy music. If I need something to spark a gleeful attitude, music is usually just the ticket. Here are some good ‘n’ happy tunes:
2. Treat a friend to something special. Do something thoughtful and nice for a buddy, even if it means getting out your wallet…something small that will just brighten their day.
3. Move! Sitting is bound to make you feel sluggish. If you get up and move just a little bit…dance to your favorite song, run around your yard, march up and down the stairwell, do some jumping jacks, just STOP SITTING… you’re sure to feel more alive and uplifted. To quote Elle Woods, “Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands. They just don’t.”
8. Read P. G. Wodehouse. I don’t know if you’ve read about Jeeves the butler and his boss, Bertie Wooster, but take a break from whatever’s bumming you out to make their acquaintance. I never laugh out loud at a book as much as I do when I read the British humor in a Wodehouse.
9. Eat a pancake…or a stack of them. I’m not advocating emotional eating, but if you’re having a bad day, it might be a good time to go for your favorite meal. Mine is a pancake breakfast. I kinda wish it was veggie burgers, but it’s not, it’s pancakes. If yours is chocolate, that’s okay too.
10. Buy some flowers. Happiness doesn’t have to be expensive, you can pick the flowers from outside, but brighten up your environment with something beautiful, colorful and sweet smelling.
11. Remember you are loved. Truly, there is a world’s worth of love with your name on it. And, even if you’re not feeling it from the people around you right now, there’s a heavenly father whose love for you is greater than the combined love of each individual on the planet. You. Are. Loved.
12. Fake it! Do yourself a favor and just pretend you’re happy. Focus on what you would feel if you were having the best day of your life. It’s foolproof.
BONUS SHOT (which is the most important one, by the way):
13. Cast your cares. Some of you are probably thinking that at the end of the day, you may have improved your mood, but none of your issues were solved. I get that. Pour out every single thing that’s bothering you into a prayer. Ask God to take over. Remind yourself that He’s in control, anyway. Let that sink in and feel peace.
Going through the motions with each thing listed here doesn’t cut it. Enjoy it. Actually take it in and let it change your mood. Bookmark this list for when you’re in need of a shot of happy and let me know what YOU do for a mood boost in the comments below! Have a happy weekend!